On 6 March 2012, an Airbus A319 aircraft registered 9V-SBH, was operating a Silkair flight SLK112 passenger flight.
The aircraft departed from Changi Airport (WSSS), Singapore to Adi Soemarmo Airport (WARQ), Solo Indonesia. There were 131 persons on board, consisted of two pilots, five cabin crews, and 124 passengers (120 adult and 4 children).
The brake assembly number 2 of Silkair flight SLK112 was replaced at the night stop before departed to Adi Soemarmo airport.
The aircraft landed at 0158 UTC. During landing roll of Silkair flight SLK112, the controller observed smoke on the left main landing gear and informed to the SLK pilot. The controller communicated in unclear English.
The communication was assisted by the pilot of another aircraft (LionAir) by translating to and from Indonesia and English.
For five minutes the pilot of Silkair flight SLK112 asked Marmo Tower for more information to find out whether there was smoke and/or fire. At 0204 UTC, Marmo Tower said to the pilot that there was fire and the pilot made decision to conduct passenger emergency evacuation between the taxiway Bravo and apron.
The passengers disembarked using emergency slides and one of the passengers had a minor injury.
The investigation found no evidence that there had been fire.
The investigation found that the controllers were not eligible to conduct duty as controller.
- The aircraft was airworthy prior the accident and there was no evidence of system malfunction during the flight.
- The flight crew of Silkair flight SLK112 had the valid license.
- The controller had valid ILP level 4, medical certificate valid until May 2011, and the controller certificate valid until January 2011.
- The assistant had valid license until July 2012, medical certificate valid until May 2011, and uncertified ILP level 4.
- The brake assembly number 2 was replaced at the night stop before departed to Solo.
- The controller observed smoke on the left main landing gear.
- The controllers could not communicate in good English other than standard phraseology. The communication was assisted by another pilot by translating to and from Indonesia and English.
- There was no damage or sign of fire on the wheel and brake assembly number 2;
- Found grease residue of estimate size of 8 cm3 on heat sink;
- The tire pressure of Silkair flight SLK112 was normal, no fuse plugs melted;
- There was no sign of any hydraulic leak on brake number 2;
- There was no indication of the damage that may produce spark or sign of fire.
- The pilot declared emergency and evacuated the passenger by the escape slides. One of the passengers had a minor injury during the evacuation.
- There were other person conversation not related to the controller duty on the background of the ATC controller
Uncertain identification combined with ineffective communication by the controller caused the pilot to make the emergency decision.